Sunday, September 17, 2023

My Greek Destination Wedding in Hydra

It's been a long time since I last wrote an article for this blog, over seven years in fact, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

I'm still living in Florida but there have been a lot of changes in my life. I came to America nearly thirteen years ago to marry but that partnership didn't work out and we split in 2016. 

I got into a new relationship a year or so after the finalization of the divorce and this new relationship has been far happier.

After living together for six years or so, we decided to tie the knot earlier this summer. The ceremony was on the Greek island of Hydra and we spent our honeymoon on Corfu and driving around the Peloponnese.

It was a marvelous wedding and vacation and something that I'll remember for the rest of my life!

Boats moored in the harbor area in Hydra, Greece

Hydra is such a beautiful little island. We originally visited in 2021 because I wanted to see where the writer and singer Leonard Cohen lived but we fell in love with the island straightaway and decided that we would married there.

Vehicles are banned on the island, so walking and mule are the main transport.

Mules on Hydra

My wife and I arrived a few days early and there was some time to relax before our wedding day.

My wife and I relaxing in the sun.

The wedding was wonderful and the photographer captured some beautiful shots. That said, Hydra is a photogenic place with lots of sunshine and beautiful scenery.



Wedding day. The cat looks on!


Kissing on the steps.

The ceremony was outside on the roof of the town museum. There were some worries that it might rain but the weather was perfect on the day and everything ran smoothly.

We married on the roof of the Hydra museum


With all the guests outside the front of the museum

One of the fun Hydra traditions is that the groom leads the bride on a horse from the site of the wedding ceremony to the reception venue.

We went through the busy port area which is full of restaurants and people eating outdoors. There was a lot of cheering and clapping, as well as a few witty heckles as we passed by!



Hydra tradition is that the bride rides a horse to the wedding reception
Leading the horse through the cobbled streets


Joyful at the wedding reception

No comments:

Post a Comment